Founded in 1895
Return to Rugby – but not as we know it !
The Rugby Football Union can confirm the Government has approved a return to 15-a-side contact rugby, with some adaptations.
- No scrums or mauls
- Where the game would restart with a scrum, this will be replaced with a free kick
- A minimum of five and a maximum of seven players from each team are required to form a lineout.
Return to play – Society Meeting
In the mean time you may find the information through the links below useful
The Society held a a successful Training Meeting using the zoom platform. The meeting featured Durham Society old boy and Premiership Referee Andrew Jackson being interviewed by the Training and Development manager John Heselwood who asked questions provided by the society members.
Clusters – subject to change
Jim Fox retires from re-appointments role
Jim Fox and Edna! have decided it is time to step down from probably the most demanding role in the society. Jim has been the re-appointments Secretary for over 20 years having previously held the position of Sunday and Midweek Appointments Secretary.
Due to the Corona Virus disruption to the 2020-2021 season it has been agreed by the Board of Directors that the 2019-2020 membership will be extended by 1 year until the 31st August 2021
RFU Webinar Programme details
Coaching & Referee Webinar - Tuesday 9th June – 7pm
It's here Scrum Week
Refereeing the Scrum with Wayne Barnes and Matthew Carley
updated June 4, 2020
World Rugby's executive committee will consider recommendations this week that could help significantly reduce the risk of coronavirus in the sport.
updated May 26, 2020
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, that meeting will no longer be held, but the AGM will be held using email so that we are ready for next season.
updated May 23, 2020
World Rugby has announced that, with immediate effect, it will no longer be possible to score a try by grounding the ball against the post protector
updated May 19, 2020
Grading Committee met virtually on the 7th May to consider the end of 2019-2020 referee gradings. Thanks to the hard efforts of the small band of MOD's there was a total of 152 reports to consider including 29 from out of County exchanges
updated May 18, 2020
Due to the CoVid-19 virus, the Annual Dinner has been postponed to provisionally 4th December at Durham City RFC
updated May 18, 2020
- Women's Premier 15s: Wasps beat leaders Saracens February 27, 2021
- Wales v England: Eddie Jones says side are 'not allowed to debate huge decisions' February 27, 2021
- Six Nations: Wales coach Wayne Pivac enjoys 'special' Triple Crown day February 27, 2021
- Six Nations: Wales 40-24 highlights February 27, 2021
- Six Nations: Wales v England - Owen Farrell refuses to be drawn on refereeing controversies February 27, 2021
The Coronavirus has had a huge impact on all aspects of our lives including rugby
My Name’5 Doddie Foundation
Durham Referees’ Society support a very deserving charity